World Men 2014 - Vienna  
14th International Workshop on Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia
and other rare endocrine tumors
September 25th – 27th, 2014, Vienna AUSTRIA
  U.E.M.S. DFP
  Congress Venue
Gesellschaft der Ärzte in Wien - Billrothhaus
Society of Physicians in Vienna - Billrothhouse
Frankgasse 8, A-1090 Vienna
  Struggling with the management of infectious diseases and alnutrition, first attempts to unify the Viennese physicians were undertaken in the beginning of the 19th century. From then on the rapid distribution of medical information was facilitated by the introduction of printed Annual Medical reports for the people living in Vienna, which later (1887) were followed by the classical journal “Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift”.
In 1838 the Society of Physicians was officially founded in a festive event with minister of state Prince von Metternich and the whole medical faculty being present. Since then the “Society of Physicians” was a pacemaker in improving hygiene standards including fresh water supply of the city of Vienna, and in the advancement of novel treatments based on controlled clinical studies.
In the beginning the society of physicians was settled within the building of the old university in the city of Vienna, Dr. Ignaz Seipel Platz 2, where today the Austrian Academy of Sciences resides. First in 1893, upon efforts of the society ´s then president Theodor Billroth, an own home base was found in Frankgasse No. 8 next to the old university clinic “Allgemeines Krankenhaus (AKH)”. This house is ever since known as the “Billrothhaus” and was an important foster place for medical science:
novel findings were (and still are) presented in weekly sessions to the collegium, often rendering hot and critical discussions. Most prestigious personalities of the history of medicine have presented their work for the first time in this place, among them Rokitansky, Hebra, Freud, Billroth and Landsteiner. They all were pacemakers at their time and their findings do still impact today ´s medicine.
A strange thing of this architecturally and art - historically interesting house is the large meeting room sketched by Billroth himself. So that the physicians can leave the hall to consultations as rapidly as possible, for each seat row two side doors, all together 21 doors, were inserted. The hall with 300 seats and a gallery is decorated with Portraits of large physicians and presidents of the society.
The principal item of the Billroth house and the actual treasure of the society of the physicians is the library. With approximately 25.000 Monographs and 2.000 historically valuable magazines it ranks today among the most valuable technical libraries of the world. Only few libraries possess comparable complete magazine rows, which decrease/go back a hundred and more years. Extensive archives -it contains for example the entire official and private correspondence Billroth’s
- had to bepaged out from space reasons into the Institute for history of the
medicine in the Josephinum.
For friends of old libraries one highlight is the read hall but also of the dangerous kind: an area, in which one forgets the time and spends hours browsing in the treasuries